Lately, I have possessed a desire to really know more about what my family is eating, consuming, putting in or on their bodies, where it comes from, and how to incorporate natural medicine into our health care. My motives are relatively simple. For example, have you ever taken a really hard, long look at the ingredients, say, in the lotion you use on a daily basis, or that sticky-sweet candy that you're giving your kids? I know I don't always, and even when I do, I couldn't tell you what the ingredients mean. Propylene glycol? What is that? Is that something I want my children consuming? Is that something I want inside or on my body? Food is being recalled every day--why is it being recalled? What are the quality controls put into place? How is the food gathered, processed, produced? Where does it come from? Or, another example, why is it that I pay hundreds of dollars for the simplest things at a doctor's office--treating a cold, or a sunburn, or an earache, when I never seem to see a doctor for longer than five minutes, and, often, we're back in two weeks because such-and-such antibiotic failed to work--again.
I am striving to know more. I want to have more of a say as to what goes into and onto our bodies. I want to know what these ingredients are. I'd like to know who makes my food, who has a say in what is "safe for consumption" and what isn't. I'd like to walk the fields where our produce is grown, or where the cows are fed who provide our meat and our milk. I'd like to know that I have the knowledge to treat minor health issues with natural or home remedies. I'd like to buy foods that contain as little additives and chemicals as possible.
So, I'm pursuing these questions and goals. I am learning to navigate the natural and organic sections of our supermarkets--buying all natural or organic foods, cleaners, or beauty/bath products when it is feasible (oh, how I am addicted to agave nectar). We love buying local produce and meats when possible. I am researching what is in our food, and who says that it is acceptable. I am discovering that I have the ability to treat certain health issues myself and naturally.
There's so much to learn, and I'll never be able to live a 100% organic, natural lifestyle. Some health issues absolutely require medical intervention--many do, in fact. It's not possible to eat and use 100% natural and organic products all of the time, nor, do I want to (this mother has a mass market frozen pizza planned for dinner tonight because I am feeling lazy). Sometimes, I need to buy my meat or my fruits and veggies at a traditional store. There will be more things in my house with ingredients that I don't know than those where I do. The goal isn't 100%. The goal is KNOWLEDGE. The goal is freedom from reliance on mass produced goods and medical treatment when possible. The goal is having more say as to what we eat, consume, and use. A goal of getting back to our roots, relying on Mother Nature's wisdom when I am able.
Great goal, Laura, and I am amazed that you got several pounds of berries for $6. You do live in a great area! And those pictures from the beach place are so cute! Your little Vanilla Bean is so cute, and they both have those gorgeous blue eyes! And good for you for venturing out with your kiddies more--I do it for self-preservation rather than for purer motives. When we're out having adventures, I'm happy:).
ReplyDelete