My journey on the road of marriage, parenthood, preparedness, friendship, frugal living, and teaching....
Sunday, June 3, 2012
UPDATED: Meet Crybaby....
So, I've been trying to plan activities for the children as we can--we've visited farms, picked berries, have gone for walks, etc. Last Friday, we planned on having an "Art Day," basically a day of fingerpaints and markers and messes, because it was supposed to be stormy and nasty outside.
Yeaaaaah, instead we went to the animal shelter where I volunteer and brought home a cat to foster, named Crybaby.
Crybaby's former owners had her for five years, but are relocating and cannot take her with them. They didn't want her to have to stay in the shelter, so the shelter asked for a volunteer to foster her until she finds her forever home. And my allergies and I volunteered for the job.
I am not going to mince words, nor am I going to hide the bad moments. But, I am also going to share all of the positive experiences. Why? Because that is what animal fostering (or ownership) is all about. I had this image of being "The Cat Whisperer" or something. Even though I knew better, even I still had that thought in my head. It hasn't been easy--my allergies are haywire, kitty does not like the children yet, there's litter all over the place, she peed outside of Goob's door (OK, I found that funny...it wasn't much, and pet messes don't scare me....I thought she had him "marked" for some impending doom for harassing her), and she hides much of the time, and hisses more than I like. But, in those moments where I think "What the heck did I get myself into?", that is when she climbs on my lap, gets up on my shoulder, peeks out of hiding even when the kids are around, purrs like mad, nuzzles us constantly--those are the moments when you think, "Maybe I'm doing this right sometimes." Having an animal in your home, any animal, isn't easy. I'm still not sure with our allergies that we could keep her permanently, but this experience is going to be a blessing for our family, whether she is here a few days, a few months, or whatever. I have to have patience (and a LOT of Claritin...that is my biggest worry...allergies). Crybaby is a sweetheart, and for now, she is ours and a member of our family.
UPDATE: So, Crybaby's first owners lied about the record of her preventative vet care, and it turns out she had some underlying urinary issues. After peeing blood all over my house and chasing down the shelter vet on a few occasions, we returned her to the shelter because we couldn't keep up with her medical issues, only to feel guilty and bring her back home. She is now, per doc's orders, crated when not supervised, and on meds twice a day until we know for sure how she is doing. I knew by the amount of sobbing I was doing when we took her back that I needed her back home. I am not convinced she is a good fit for us as a forever home, seeing as she does bite, but she is with us for now, and I love this kitty to pieces.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment