I volunteer at our local animal shelter. A few days ago, a 16 week old kitten came into the shelter with a very severely injured eye--I'll spare you the details--and the shelter had to raise $700 for surgery, or else the kitten would be euthanized.
I was frantic. We were down to our last $12 in our checking account (because we're awesome), and I was feeling guilty about even going to Taco Bell and spending $10 before I knew about said kitten.
So, thanks to social media, I posted the kitten's Chip-in info, and urged my friends to donate, shared the pic, etc.
Some of my friends, who lives miles away and have never set foot in our shelter, gave to this little kitten, purely out of the goodness of their hearts, even though they will likely never personally see the results. Some of these friends are good friends of mine, and others haven't seen me since I was a kid. But, it's safe to say that I was incredibly moved, and because of them, a life was saved. The money was raised, and the little gal is recovering from her surgery.
It's stuff like this that keeps me from being completely and utterly cynical. It's moments like this that keep me from going completely postal during the holidays. The generosity of others never ceases to amaze me. Yes, it's true--I have the best friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment