Monday, January 30, 2012

A Big Decision

Lately, as you're aware, I have been stressed out concerning the state of our finances, and about losing one of my classes/half my pay due to low enrollment (see previous post).
When I first heard the news about my canceled class, I was despondent, and I was also dead set on finding a full-time job. The income, according to my rationale at that point, would skyrocket us out of debt and afford our family opportunities to grow as a result. I was going to sit down and start putting in my resume and CV ASAP.
But it didn't feel good.
NOTHING felt good.
I was more lost than ever. A full-time job was the answer I was looking for, right? I mean, I had a very strong assurance that our financial goals were something we are meant to tackle this year, so when the class was canceled, I assumed that meant for me to look for something better. And seeing as my part time teaching pay is as much as a minimum wage full-time job, I thought this magical door to a higher paying full-time job would appear before me, and all would be right in the world.
It just never felt good. It never felt right.
So, what feels good?
The decision to stay home with my children and work part time teaching as I do now, when hubby is able to be home with the children in the evenings. Also, I felt very strongly to pursue a business idea I have been toying with for a while that would also allow me to set my own schedule and pay rate, though by no means making a high-powered career salary.
This is the only thing that sounds good to me. The only thing that feels right.
So, needless to say, I am terrified. This means a lot of scraping by, a lot of sacrifice, a lot of worries, a lot of frugality, and concurrently raising my children/maintaining a home/teaching part-time/starting a small business. But this feels so right, and I'm motivated to see it through. Fears and all, I know that the right thing for me at this time is to spend most of my time with my children, making our home and family the main priority. It's not the right decision for everyone, and I'm still very envious of full-time working mamas, but it just doesn't feel right for our family at the moment. I am trusting that we will be able to work through this period of transition for our family, while fulfilling our goals, and making our family our top priority.

3 comments:

  1. Business venture? Selling cookies for bachelorette parties?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Not hardly. I'll get into it more once I have a game plan/talk out some details with people way more knowledgeable about starting a (very, very, very) small business than I am.

    ReplyDelete