
After five years of my hubby encouraging me to do this, I finally began work on our family's 72 hour kit this morning. It's not completed, and there's a lot of work to do, but since we buy loads of stuff in bulk and stockpile, I was amazed at how much we already had that was usable.
A 72 hour kit, or "bug out bag," is a container with preparations in the event your family needs to seek alternative shelter. Will you likely use these emergency supplies? Maybe, maybe not. But, in the event of a natural disaster/emergency, I love the idea that our family will be prepared. This would be great even for the small problems in life, like lengthy power outages (which we have a lot around here).
I put off doing this for years, feeling like it was too daunting a task, too expensive, etc., etc. But, thanks to Pinterest, I found some inspiration and loads of great ideas to get started. Some are not comprehensive--some don't mention clothing, or pet preparation, etc., but you can fill in the gaps as needed for your family.
I really encourage you to do this for your family. It's not much, doesn't mean you are prepping for doomsday...this is just for a short term emergency. I hope you never need it, but if you do, you will be ready to face the challenge ahead. It never hurts to work on becoming more self-reliant, and your family will be grateful.
Some helpful links:
One Item a Week 72 Hour Kits
72 Hour Kit List
72 Hour Kits for Babies
No comments:
Post a Comment