Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Love for Local Business

I am so blessed to live in an area where we are surrounded by friendly, accomodating, and budget-friendly local business who market to those who are striving to maintain a self-reliant, provident, and sustainable lifestyle.  This is one of the many advantages of living in a more rural community/region. 
I stopped at two of my favorites today.  The first is one of many Mennonite-run bulk food stores (which also has a wonderfully fantabulous bakery).  I picked up some homemade rolls (heaven on earth, they are), and I also purchased locally made maple mustard (which is divine on pretzels). 
The second is a "scratch and dent" discount grocery store.  The service is so courteous and helpful (they even take your groceries to the car for you--who does that anymore?).  Today was "Frozen Food Wednesday."  While there, I bought 5 pounds of pulled beef, 3 pounds Sysco-produced chicken tenders, 4 lbs. of Wendy's chicken nuggets, 4 lbs. Burger King chicken strips, 5 lbs. Burger King onion rings, 3 bags sweet potato fries, and 8 pork sirloin steaks at 8 ounces each (64 ounces total/4 lbs.)...about 28 pounds of frozen food, and a case of the cutest mini Heinz ketchup bottles (8.7 lbs.) for, get this, $55.  My freezer is FULL.  Before you think, "Holy cow, that's a lot of unhealthy food," while I know some of it was produced by fast food chains and sold to this little grocer, think about it--these are fast food items that are usually cooked in a deep fryer that is loaded with grease, which leaves the food loaded with grease.  Whereas, I can take these home and bake them as a somewhat healthier alternative.  Could be worse, right?  And, when I feel the need to go out to eat fast food....
I encourage you to peruse your own area for wonderful local business that sell whatever you might need--be it pet supplies, food items, emergency preparedness equipment, locally grown produce, whatever.  I also want to encourage myself to work harder to move away from shopping at big box stores so often, and to instead develop a preference for buying from small businesses, when pratical and feasible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment