Sunday, April 1, 2012

Preserving Eggs

While watching Doomsday Preppers, I noticed one of their featured preppers preserving eggs, stating that by merely rubbing them with mineral oil, the eggs would keep for about nine months without refrigeration.
I saw that and was immediately skeptical. I went to work to see if I could debunk this theory, and I was actually surprised to learn that there is truth to it.
According to Oregon State University's Extension Office, you can find oil that is specifically created for preserving eggs, or you can use light mineral oil. The oil needs to be odorless, but it does not need to be colorless. Put the oil into a bowl or some other open container, and dip the eggs (fully submerge them) into the oil. (They recommend using a wire food basket to dip the eggs.) Allow them to drain on a rack for a couple minutes, then place back in the egg case small end down to protect the little air pocket in the big end of the egg. The eggs can be stored at room temperature or cooler.
For the original source, check out this website: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/sites/default/files/images/lc105.pdf
Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment