Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Sky's Awake

Lately, The Goob has been proclaiming at daybreak, "The sky's awake!"  While spending a night at my parents' house, he told my father that he needed to be awake at 5:30am, and when my dad objected, Goob said, "Doesn't matter.  The sky's awake." 
Although a bit obnoxious at times, I find this sentiment to be extremely sweet, and it has made me ponder my lifestyle.  Due to some minor health issues, and, let's face it, laziness, I am someone who loves sleep: I love sleeping in, sleeping long hours, napping, sleeping in the car, you name it. 
But, when I think of the best examples of self-reliance, provident living, and work ethic, they do seem to have this common thread--they all wake up early.  And, when you think about it, how many times do we say, "Oh, there aren't enough hours in the day?"  I know I say it a lot.  And there's a solution, a way to add a few, quiet, childless hours to my day, with some hard work and sacrifice.  Plus, there is something therapeutic and peaceful about getting up early to enjoy the fresh air of morning, to stand at a warm sink of dishes, in sheer calm. 
So, I can't promise that I will be up with the sun, but I am hoping to be better at utilizing the useful hours in my day, while "the sky's awake."

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on your blog, as a way of procrastinating grading some big papers. It felt great! You are so funny, and so real. I'm sorry that your brain tries to beat you up so much! You know you want tranquility, but you just don't seem to have what my family calls "a lot of healthy self-love." I hope you pat yourself on the back every day for all the good you did, and recite your many accomplishments to your husband. I love my planner, because it shows all my hard work:). I pray that you can feel pleased with your hard, wonderful work. And that picture of your son holding/dropping the Bean is really funny.

    ReplyDelete