Saturday, March 31, 2012

My Latest Discovery: Coconut Oil

I have been hearing about all of the possibilities/potential uses for coconut oil, and my interest was piqued. Luckily, I managed to find a large tub of it on clearance at a local bulk foods store, so I decided to do some research to see if it is as versatile as people claim.

-Coconut oils works as a moisturizer and aftershave, according to several sources. Also can be used alone or as an ingredient in homemade deodorant. I have also heard rumors that it can be a handy lubricant for, um, personal use.
-Can be used for cradle cap, in place of baby oil, to loosen flakes.
-Some sources claim it can be used as a diaper salve.
-Using a one cup to one cup ratio, it can be used in cooking as a lard/oil/butter replacement, especially when it comes to greasing pans and the like.
-Can be used in cooking and baking as other oils.
-Some sources claim it can be a stress reliever if rubbed into the skin as a calming facial on a hard day.
-Can be used as a conditioner for a flaky scalp (makes sense, with the cradle cap usage and all).
-Coconut oil and baking soda can be mixed and used as a toothpaste.
-Massage oil........I'm already swooning.
-Mix coconut oil and sugar for a body scrub.
-Melt and add to smoothies. Yummy!
-You can mix coconut oil with peppermint oil extract and rub it all over exposed skin in place of insect repellant.
-Handy to use when your kids get chewing gum caught in their hair (and every kid does at some point).

What a versatile addition to food storage! I'm way excited to try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment