I have been participating in a war that others have fought, and lost, for centuries. Every day is a new battle, a new skirmish, another setback, but I refuse to be another casualty.
I'm waging war against my dirty house.
It never ends. When you have two little ones, it's a never ending cycle of clean this, wash that, scrub there, wipe off here, vacuum this, sweep that. It never ends.
I am not a "good" housekeeper, really. This is something that doesn't come naturally to me, and is one of my greatest day-to-day struggles, especially now that I am chasing after little ones. I even have help with them, thanks to my mom-in-law, and I still can't always get everything accomplished because I am tired, and I relish the quiet time too much to want to clean.
I make a to-do list every day, and whatever doesn't get done, I have been carrying over to the next list. I have items that have to be done, and others that I hope to get done, but I had been classifying them as things that needed done during the day, instead of prioritizing.
I realized the other day that my lists were including 40 items, in one day, on average. It is no wonder that I am always feeling behind and that I am never doing a good enough job keeping up with the mess. No one can do that unless it's your 40 hr. a week job, and even then! Let alone if you have kiddos...it's impossible.
So, today, I am striving to make the lists shorter, focus on what truly needs done, and maybe a few daydream items and a couple fun items. It's going to take time to get into a new routine, but I really can't keep going on 40 items or more a day.
It most definitely is a war, and one I intend to win.
No comments:
Post a Comment