Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Simple Kind of Life

I am currently researching ways to simplify my life, to destress and stay motivated through natural, non material means, to life a healthier day to day life, and to focus on the things that matter, like our family, friends, and home, instead of shallow things. It's not easy. I'm a cynical soul, an emotional shopper, with a tendency toward anxiety, depression, self-doubt, and a nagging compulsion to compare myself to others. I fail more often than I succeed. But, I am trying to change that, and that is what matters.
So, here are some things that I have been doing to recenter my life, or things that I am investigating, and these are also things that I need to remember to keep working on/toward:
-Donating goods and time to causes that truly need it. If we don't need it, I find I am wanting to eliminate it from our lives, and I also find I am happy when I am working on something that brings me, and others, joy, like volunteering at our local animal shelter.
-Cooking more meals at home, and relying less on takeout. This is not easy for me, but I am trying, nevertheless, and feel it is key to a healthier lifestyle.
-Working on improving our financial fitness (not so good at this one, but we are making some forward steps).
-Setting and fulfilling emergency preparedness/self reliance goals as a family, which I've discussed before.
-Exercise. I am not doing so well here, but that is partially due to a lingering sickness.
-Working on spending one on one time with my children, which is wonderful when I can get it.
-I am reading more, which, as someone with two degrees in English, you would think I would have been doing, but once you have two children, it's not always so easy.
-Blogging. (Obviously.)
-Hubby and I have found a source of free Swedish massages, and I look forward to utilizing that as time progresses.
-A friend is a reiki master, and I'm interested in looking into that to combat stress and anxiety.
-Centering my life more around the homemade and less around store-bought. I'm not sure I can commit to this 100%, because I do like the occasional splurge, and I am not someone who will, say, convert to cloth diapering or something over disposables, but I'm trying to enjoy the simple things, to go all natural/more green where I can (just snagged some homemade cloth baby wipes--adorable), eat healthier, etc.
How do you like to simplify your life when things get crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment