Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Food for Thought on Thanksgiving

"Joy is the simplest form of gratitude." --Karl Barth

How wonderful is that quote. I have a planner that I use for my to-do lists, and each week, it has a different quote, and that was this week's quote. Sometimes, when I look at what other people have, or buy, or when I envy their talents or their looks or their personalities, I find myself getting depressed, feeling like I don't have enough, don't do enough, don't spend enough money.... Whereas, if I actually just appreciated what I had more, I'd probably be happier and not care as much about what others have or do. And I'd have joy. And what shows gratitude better than joy? I think I want to carry this quote with me as I enter the Thanksgiving and holiday seasons. I get so depressed sometimes around the holidays, between the demands on my time and energy, and the frazzled, contrary shoppers, and the stress of preparation, and feeling on one hand like I just want to reject the whole notion of the commercial side of the holidays, and yet, I feel guilty when I see my friends buying tons of stuff for their kids, and I'm keeping such an uptight budget for my own. When, really, if I just focus on what I have and try not to stress out, I'd find so much more joy in the season and with the holidays. I need to remember what is truly important and strive to be more grateful, and less envious and materialistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment