I'm grateful for my home. Sometimes, I feel like I need to be more grateful than I am. I struggle a lot when it comes to looking at others' houses, and I feel overwhelming inadequacy at times because I don't feel my house isn't clean enough, or big enough, or as well decorated as another house, or organized enough--you get the picture. And a lot of these battles I will continue to fight until I change my perspective and until the little ones are grown up enough that they can clean all of their own messes...you know, when they are forty.
I need to remember when it was worse--when we lived in a really bad neighborhood and wanted so desperately to be where we are now. I remember when we were getting ready to close on the house--we loaded up The Goob in the stroller and took him to the new house and just walked around the neighborhood, and I was so joyous, so happy to be in a safe, comfortable, and beautiful neighborhood where we *could* walk our baby around and feel secure and be able to take in the wonderful things around us. I shouldn't let envy get in the way of those feelings.
Our home is adequate, comfortable, able to be improved upon, and perfect for our family. I need to show my gratitude for it by using it and appreciating what it offers us, and by taking better care of it than I do sometimes.
I am also grateful this morning for my husband. I'm not very good at showing affection, even to my own spouse, and sometimes, I just get so overwhelmed by life and its challenges that I find I neglect showing him the love he deserves because I know he'll understand. But, it's not fair to him. He needs as much attention and concern as the house, as the children, as my work, as I do. Without him, I wouldn't have many of the things in my life that I cherish the most. He helps me overcome fears and obstacles, puts up with my endless array of crap, talks with me about the craziest things, is my confidante, and is very much my rock. I need to resolve to prioritizing him in my life, in showing affection and love, and taking care of the things that are important to him, and not just what is important to me.
What are you grateful for today?
No comments:
Post a Comment