Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Why I am Grateful, #1: My Children

So, here comes the cheese...since it is November 1st, it's time to start all of the obligatory "Why I Am Grateful" entries until Thanksgiving. And truth be told, I need the reminders and the time to reflect, so let's get started, shall we?
So, what am I grateful for so early in the morning on November 1st? Today, I have to say I am feeling grateful for my children. I truly need to appreciate them more than I do sometimes. Sometimes, I get so frazzled by potty-training, bottles, cleaning up after them, dressing them, bathing them, feeding them, that I focus more on the routine, rather than my children as individuals? Does that make sense? I care for the chores, and lose focus on getting to know them as individuals. Love doesn't always have to be simply taking care of them and cleaning their mess, but taking time to slow down the day a bit and learn to appreciate what they do and who they are. I grew up as an only child and saw the pain it caused my parents to not be able to have as many children as they wanted. I have friends who deal with infertility, miscarriages, the deaths of their kids...and here I am with two wonderful little ones.
I'm not saying that it is bad to get frustrated or to feel overwhelmed--heaven knows I feel this...oh, every day...but sometimes, it's nice to stop and forget about the dishes and the laundry once in a while and simply take the time to spend with them.
So, this morning, I'm grateful for little red dinosaur costumes, countless Binkies laying around my house, tutus, pettiskirts, headbands, that indescribable way that babies can sometimes smell that is so nice, the crazy things that come out of The Goob's mouth, toothless grins, coos and squeals of delight, toys everywhere, Hot Wheels cars under every nook and cranny, bedtime routines, Elmo, and everything else that reminds me that I am a mother and that my little ones are mine. I love them more than I can ever express.

No comments:

Post a Comment