Thursday, November 3, 2011

Why I am Grateful, #3: Quiet Mornings

I am grateful that my children are good sleepers, because if I get up early in the morning, I can manage to have time to myself to think, to relax, to blog, to surf, and anything else that strikes my fancy. I used to be a morning person, until I had my first child, and now, I'm rediscovering that trait within myself again. This little quota of peace and quiet has become my favorite part of the day, I think. I can watch the sun rise out of my kitchen or living room windows, let the dog curl up at my feet without his being disturbed by happy little ones, and send out emails to my hubby while he is at work. Bliss. Sometimes, it is indeed the little things.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I have always felt like you deserve a readership of several hundred women. You have beautiful, specific things to say, and I love your posts. Maybe some day you'll go "viral" and everyone will get to hear your beautiful thoughts. Here are my thoughts, bouncing off your last several posts:
    1) I know you hate that you compare yourself/your circumstances with others, and I have the same problem. I agree with you that gratitude is the right way to battle coveting, along with anything else that is "of good report and praiseworthy." One thing I have done lately that has made me less covetous has been setting weekly goals and achieving them. This makes a world of difference for me.
    2) I'm sorry about all the breastfeeding/bottle anxiety. I was one of the people encouraging you to stick with breastfeeding, because I knew how excited you were to do it. But you read your situation correctly, which no one else could have done for you. Good for you, and I love that you got that sweet smile at just the right time. And that you get sleep at night.
    3) Holy cow about holding your baby in a carrier for three hours a day! I didn't know people were still advocating wearing babies, but my back feels sore just thinking of it. When I was reading your post about that, Brooklyn was in my arms, and I started tallying up how much I hold her...our little girl requires holding a lot of the time, so I think we're making that 3 hour goal without trying. And that could be contributing to the fact that she doesn't roll very well yet:)?
    4) I never knew your parents wanted more kids and couldn't have them. Thank goodness they got such a great one! I loved visiting teaching with your mom.
    and 5) You're hilarious. I saw your side bar quote about asking what crawled up your son's butt. Priceless, particularly because he had an answer for you:).

    ReplyDelete